[BUG] minor MPEG bug under Linux?

John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Tue Jul 10 05:20:58 UTC 2001

Normally I run Squeak from a little icon in Kde. Kde just executes
"squeak -memory 60mk" (about as much as I can manage in Kde without
squeezing everything else to death).

Now, doing it this way, opening up the MPEGPlayer Morph and pointing it
at AlienSong.mpg (which everyone seems to use as a test) brings up the
debuger: error: a primitive has failed.

Running squeak from the command line, I can run the mpeg, but find, on
inspecting the Xterm:

john at molehole:~ > squeak
ioLoadModule(./Mpeg3Plugin.so): ./Mpeg3Plugin.so: undefined symbol:
mpeg3_total_astreams
/dev/dsp: No such device
/dev/dsp: No such device
/dev/dsp: No such device
/dev/dsp: No such device
/dev/dsp: No such device
/dev/dsp: No such device

Any ideas? I don't know what either error message means (I've always had
the dev/dsp error and it seems not to affect anything). And it seems
that Squeak needs to spit out the error message in order to be able to
run the mpeg. -- Just a thought: this might have been responsible for my
not being able to get mpegs to run when I "hand bodged" the mpeg plugin.

BTW, I don't have a sound card fitted (or rather, I do, but it's one of
those really nasty cheap ones that Linux doesn't recognise).

Cheers

John