[BUG] minor MPEG bug under Linux?

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Jul 10 15:44:24 UTC 2001

> Stuffing it in my /usr/local/lib/squeak/3.0/ (in my /etc/ld.so/conf) it
> now works from the icon. But I get a primitive has failed error on
> Squeak opening. If I dismiss this, it works. This error may just relate
> to the sound: the thought occurs that if I were running a Mac, I'd be
> worried if sound was'nt there. If I was running a *nix, however, I'd
> quite expect it not to be.

Glad to hear you got the MPEG working!

What primitive is failing?  You can look a line or two down in the
debugger to see which one...

Nhe /dev/dsp messages should probably be removed, or at least toned down
somehow.  It is precisely because you don't have a sound card that it
happens.  Also, the retries really are worthwhile -- for many drivers,
only one guy can use the soundcard at a time, and so a retry might
manage to open the device when a previous try failed!

-Lex