SqueakEnds was Re: [Important Topic] Squeak Central position regarding SqueakFoundation

Jim Benson jb at speed.net
Tue Jul 10 20:38:33 UTC 2001

> Rosemary Michelle Simpson wrote:

> As a struggling newbie I would love to have the Squeak Foundation
> host a weeklong workshop on programming in Squeak, especially creating
> Morphic applications.  I'll bet there would be good attendance!

Back in March of  Y2K there was a 'SqueakEnd' in Santa Barbara, CA. This
afforded the opportunity for members of the Squeak community to get together
and talk about Squeak. Members of Squeak Central attended, so virtually all
information in Squeakville was available. I know that I learned quite a bit
there, though it was more the philosophy behind some of the designs rather
than actual code.

Usually there are BOFs at OOPSLA where folks get together, but nothing as
structured as sitting down for a few days together to teach some code and
concepts.

The reason that I bring this up, is that there was quite a bit of interest
for a "SqueakEnd East" where interested folks could attend and discuss
various matters. However the meeting never materialized, probably because of
the large amount of organization and work that is needed, such as who should
host it, where it should be at, when, etc. Stephen Travis Pope was generous
enough to host the original SqueakEnd at beautiful UCSB, which was nice
because universities for some reason seem well suited for having groups of
people meet.

Somebody would have to be very motivated to get such a meeting together.
However, there is quite a benefit for the attendees.

Jim