[BUG] minor MPEG bug under Linux?

John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Wed Jul 11 01:18:56 UTC 2001

Lex Spoon wrote:

> > Stuffing it in my /usr/local/lib/squeak/3.0/ (in my /etc/ld.so/conf) it
> > now works from the icon. But I get a primitive has failed error on
> > Squeak opening. If I dismiss this, it works. This error may just relate
> > to the sound: the thought occurs that if I were running a Mac, I'd be
> > worried if sound was'nt there. If I was running a *nix, however, I'd
> > quite expect it not to be.
> >

> Glad to hear you got the MPEG working!

Me too! Although I've yet to try the sound ;-) the quality seems to be
better than the "native" mpeg players on my (admitedly 18 months out of
date) system: this is extraordinary as, presumably, they're using the
same libraries. I especially like the file selection dialogue in the
MPEG Player Morph: when I've got some spare time I'll try and snag that
for some of the other file dialogues.

> What primitive is failing?  You can look a line or two down in the
> debugger to see which one...

Let's see.... I get:

MPEGFile(Object)>>error:
MPEGFile(Object)>>primitiveFailed
MPEGFile>>primHasVideo (interestingly pathToFile on this seems to be set
to the last Mpeg I'd had opened before I quit and saved, although I did
remove the morph)
MPEGFile>>hasVideo
[] in MPEGPlayer2>>playAudio:
[] in BlockContext>>newProcess

which seems to confirm everything about the sound and the retries.

> Nhe /dev/dsp messages should probably be removed, or at least toned down
> somehow.  It is precisely because you don't have a sound card that it
> happens.  Also, the retries really are worthwhile -- for many drivers,
> only one guy can use the soundcard at a time, and so a retry might
> manage to open the device when a previous try failed!

There's so much I don't know about sound (in general and in Linux) and
graphic file types!

Thanks again

Cheers

John