SqueakEnds was Re: [Important Topic] Squeak Central position regarding SqueakFoundation

Mark Guzdial guzdial at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Jul 11 14:10:26 UTC 2001

Stephen Pair and I started talking about putting one together here in
Atlanta, then, well, life happens :-)

I'd like to organize one here at Georgia Tech, but it won't be soon:
Computer Music class in Squeak to prepare for, three conferences in
October, big Computer Supported Collaborative Learning conference in
January in Boulder (the GaTech Squeakers submitted five papers and a
tutorial)...  Somewhere in the Feb-March time frame might be
possible.  We'll explore around here...

Mark

> > Rosemary Michelle Simpson wrote:
>
> > As a struggling newbie I would love to have the Squeak Foundation
> > host a weeklong workshop on programming in Squeak, especially creating
> > Morphic applications.  I'll bet there would be good attendance!
> >

>Back in March of  Y2K there was a 'SqueakEnd' in Santa Barbara, CA. This
>afforded the opportunity for members of the Squeak community to get together
>and talk about Squeak. Members of Squeak Central attended, so virtually all
>information in Squeakville was available. I know that I learned quite a bit
>there, though it was more the philosophy behind some of the designs rather
>than actual code.
>
>Usually there are BOFs at OOPSLA where folks get together, but nothing as
>structured as sitting down for a few days together to teach some code and
>concepts.
>
>The reason that I bring this up, is that there was quite a bit of interest
>for a "SqueakEnd East" where interested folks could attend and discuss
>various matters. However the meeting never materialized, probably because of
>the large amount of organization and work that is needed, such as who should
>host it, where it should be at, when, etc. Stephen Travis Pope was generous
>enough to host the original SqueakEnd at beautiful UCSB, which was nice
>because universities for some reason seem well suited for having groups of
>people meet.
>
>Somebody would have to be very motivated to get such a meeting together.
>However, there is quite a benefit for the attendees.
>
>Jim

Associate Professor - Learning Sciences & Technologies.
Collaborative Software Lab - http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu/csl/
(404) 894-5618 : Fax (404) 894-0673 : guzdial at cc.gatech.edu