linux install question

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Jul 13 04:49:24 UTC 2001

> 2.8 is no longer the latest stable Squeak. Unless you have reasons for
> doing otherwise, I'd go for 3.0 or even 3.1. (which is alpha, but pretty
> stable by any standards). But you could leave that till later.

3.0 is very nice for newbies, though.  Timothy, if you are at all
comfortable compiling Unix programs, I'd recommend grabbing one of
these:

http://www-sor.inria.fr/~piumarta/squeak/unix/Squeak-3.0pre2.tar.gz
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/uploads/298/Squeak-lex.tgz

The first is official, and the second one has some unofficial patches on
it gathered mostly from the mailing list.  These are very easy to
compile:

	1. untar the file
	2. cd Squeak-3.0
	3. mkdir build
	4. cd build
	5. ../src/unix/configure
	6. make install

If you want more details, check out the "Download For Unix" page on the
Swiki.

	http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/298

By the way, the debian files are currently very up to date.  Happy
Squeaking!

-Lex