linux install question

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Jul 13 17:43:38 UTC 2001

Timothy Reaves <treaves at silverfields.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Jul 2001 23:49:24 -0500
> "Lex Spoon" <lex at cc.gatech.edu> wrote:
> > http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/uploads/298/Squeak-lex.tgz
> >

> 	O.K., I got this compiled and installed.  Now another question, where is my image located?  Do I just create a directory and copy the image into it?  And does this image have the chanes already sourced or do I need to do that?

The simple way is to make a working directory, enter it, and type
"inisqueak".  This will set up that directory and get you going.  In
fact, you can *always* use "inisqueak" if you want to -- it won't delete
files that have already been copied.  inisqueak is wonderful for use by
icons and menu items in your window manager.

The long answer is that image, changes, and sources are in
/usr/local/share/squeak.  Plugins are in /usr/local/lib/squeak.  You
need to copy a matching image and changes file for personal use, but you
can reuse the central sources file via a symbolic link.  (Or, you can
copy the sources file, if that seems too complicated).

By the way, Squeak changes files tend to be HUGE.  You would never want
to source ("file-in") one completely.  Besides which, it is
unfortunately impossible to do this automatically.  :(  (On the bright
side, changes files are very simple and are very unlikely to get
corrupted beyond repair).

Lex