Animorphic Vm and code will be available

John.Maloney at disney.com John.Maloney at disney.com
Tue Jul 17 17:04:00 UTC 2001

The Animorphic Smalltalk VM was very high performance. It ran on
Intel (Win95, I think). My guess is that it would be a fair amount of
work to port it, since I think they used some assembly code to get
speed and, of course, it includes a dynamic translator (JIT).

Their Smalltalk image and class hierarchy was quite interesting. It
had a type checker and type inferencing system based on abstract
interfaces ("protocols"), but the type checking was optional. You
could write code without type declarations during exploratory
programming, then fill in the declarations later.

	-- John