Building VM for Mac OS X

Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de
Wed Jul 18 08:43:31 UTC 2001

On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 08:55:27PM -0600, Eric Scharff wrote:
> What is the current state of building the Mac VM (especially the Carbon
> VM) for OS X?  I'd like to be able to build the VM using ProjectBuilder,
> but I'm not sure my image has the up-to-date source (I didn't see
> references in the image to 3.0.18).

The Carbon VM is build using CW (commercial), I think. But it should
be possible to compiler the Carbon sources using gcc. It´s allready possible
to build squeak with MPW/GCC on MacOS9, so it should be simple, only new
makefiles need to be written.

I will do this as soon  as I get my PowerBook... (tomorrow, i hope)

> There was talk a while back about using VMMaker to do builds for all
> platforms.  Is there a solution that will allow a build of a Mac VM for OS
> X?

John McIntosh has a CW-sourcetree that´s built with vmmaker. I plan to
use vmmaker with my Mac/GCC tree (and with J3 on all plattforms).

     Marcus