StrongARM SBC performance of Squeak?

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin at texoma.net
Wed Jul 18 22:41:12 UTC 2001

Ned Konz wrote:

> We're looking at using Squeak on a small, low-power single-board computer,
> perhaps a StrongARM machine. This will mostly not be doing anything too
> interactive, but there will be a simple status display. There will be serial
> and network communications, as well as some database access (I may write a
> BerkeleyDB plugin to do this, as I don't need a relational DB).

If you do write a BerkeleyDB plugin will this be made available to the
community?
You referring to SleepyCat's BerkeleyDB, correct?

I have read some of the docs for it but really didn't understand how to
use it. It's been several months tho'.

I would be interested in using BerkeleyDB for a database behind a
website. It seems there are a few high profile users backing there
websites with it. Would using it from Squeak via a plugin like you speak
of be a reasonably natural way to store data or objects from Squeak? I
am sold on the quality of BDB. I wonder what kind of UI could be made
for such a tool? Could this be something usable for non-database
experts?

Thanks for any advice, tips or pointers.

Jimmie Houchin