StrongARM SBC performance of Squeak?

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Wed Jul 18 23:47:21 UTC 2001

On Wednesday 18 July 2001 03:41 pm, Jimmie Houchin
wrote:

> If you do write a BerkeleyDB plugin will this be made available to the
> community?

Yes, of course.

> You referring to SleepyCat's BerkeleyDB, correct?

Yes.

> I have read some of the docs for it but really didn't understand how to
> use it. It's been several months tho'.
>
> I would be interested in using BerkeleyDB for a database behind a
> website. It seems there are a few high profile users backing there
> websites with it.

You may want to look at one of the relational database connectivity options
that already exist; there's a MySQL and a PostgreSQL interface for Squeak
already. I don't know how soon I am going to be able to do this.

One advantage of the BDB is that it doesn't use a server (though it can); it
just links with your program. So you could use the FFI interface now to get
to it.

> Would using it from Squeak via a plugin like you speak
> of be a reasonably natural way to store data or objects from Squeak?

Data, yes; objects would require some serialization and de-serialization. BDB
databases are nothing more than arbitrary key/data pairs, where the key and
the data can both be up to 4Gb long. You can have duplicate keys.

> am sold on the quality of BDB. I wonder what kind of UI could be made
> for such a tool? Could this be something usable for non-database
> experts?

Well, it's not much of a database. Most people, when they think of databases,
think of relational or object databases. But if you just want to store
arbitrary key/data pairs, it's great. You can do transactions if you need
more than one table, though.

Note that MySQL is built on top of BerkeleyDB.

--
Ned Konz
currently: Stanwood, WA
email:     ned at bike-nomad.com