3.0VM for Linux text colors

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Jul 19 13:30:33 UTC 2001

Shiro Ogawa <shiro_ogawa at telus.net> wrote:
> In my Linux (Debian potato) 3.0VM displays texts and window icons with
> white foreground color and menu background is dark. I tried color depth
> 8,16, and 32 with little change. 2.8VM works ok with black foreground
> color. Is 3.0VM supposed to work this way, or am I doing something
> wrong?  I tried both the prebuilt VM and a VM compiled in my machine;
> the both behave the same way. Any pointer is appreciated.

It doesn't do this for me nor any others -- it's certainly a bug!

What bit depth are you running your X server at?

Come to think of it: I *have* seen funny colors when displaying on an
8-bit Solaris X server.  I don't know why, and I have never taken the
time to track it down.  But in that case, *all* the colors are wrong,
not just the text colors....

Lex