StrongARM SBC performance of Squeak?

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Thu Jul 19 21:06:40 UTC 2001

Jon Hylands <jon at huv.com> is widely believed to have written:

> Tim, will VMMaker help me with this? I'm assuming since I'm not doing
> any display stuff, all I need is another Linux port, and stub out the
> display stuff, and it should just work...
Of course - VMMaker can help you with absolutely everything in life.

Since the display stuff (ie ioDisplayBits or whatever it is called) is
not in a plugin (hmm, we should fix that...) you will need to implement
a mostly-null equivalent od sqXWindow.c. Most of the plugins could be
left out, probably excepting serial and sockets for your system,
leaving you with a quite small VM footprint.

The second gen. VMMAker is almost readt for primetime (needs finalising
for unix & windows) but the latest state is in
http://sumeru.stanford.edu/tim/pooters/SqFiles/deltas/VMMaker-v2.zip for
your pleasure. I'll need to update the explicatory article soon as well.

tim

I do not fear computers.  I fear the lack of them.  - Isaac Asimov