3.0VM for Linux text colors

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Jul 20 02:34:27 UTC 2001

On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 12:41:01PM -0700, Shiro Ogawa wrote:
> >It doesn't do this for me nor any others -- it's certainly a bug!
> >
>   >             What bit depth are you running your X server at?
>
> Lex, thanks for a pointer. I will check it tonight. Yes all the colors
> are strange. But funny thing is 2.8VM works just fine.
>
> --
> Shiro Ogawa (shiro_ogawa at telus.net)

I believe that there was a change to the support code after the 2.8VM,
probably somewhere in sqXWindow.c, that causes this problem. I used to
run Squeak on a Linux PC with a Diamond Stealth 64 video card with (I think)
1 Mb of video memory. This used to work fine, but when I upgraded to
one of the the newer VMs, all the colors in the Squeak window went
bad. There is some kind of color mapping problem in the newer VM code
for X windows, but I was replacing my computer anyway and I never got
around to figuring out what was wrong.

Perhaps someone else has seen this and can provide a better answer.

Dave