StrongARM SBC performance of Squeak?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Jul 20 03:13:50 UTC 2001

On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 02:06:40PM -0700, Tim Rowledge wrote:
> Jon Hylands <jon at huv.com> is widely believed to have written:
>

> > Tim, will VMMaker help me with this? I'm assuming since I'm not doing
> > any display stuff, all I need is another Linux port, and stub out the
> > display stuff, and it should just work...
> Of course - VMMaker can help you with absolutely everything in life.
>
> Since the display stuff (ie ioDisplayBits or whatever it is called) is
> not in a plugin (hmm, we should fix that...) you will need to implement
> a mostly-null equivalent od sqXWindow.c. Most of the plugins could be
> left out, probably excepting serial and sockets for your system,
> leaving you with a quite small VM footprint.

Back when the late lamented SourceForge unauthorized VM hacking was
going on, I broke the sqXWindows.c file into smaller pieces, including
of course a sqUnixMain.c file. You might find this a convenient
starting point. The code is still out there at:
  http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/squeak/Unix_2.8/src/

HTH,
Dave