[ENH] Enhanced Debugging Experience (first shot)

Hans-Martin Mosner hmm at heeg.de
Fri Jul 20 08:30:12 UTC 2001

Doug Way wrote:
>>      5. nonlocal returns are caught.
>
> It may be that I'm up too late right now... could you give an example of this?

Execute:
self halt. Dictionary new at: #foo ifAbsent: [^#bar]
and use the step button on the send to at:ifAbsent: to see what I mean.
If you do it in the old debugger, it breaks (subscript out of bounds: 0)

> One other nice thing to fix at some point would be the PC highlighting for NonBoolean receiver errors. For example, if you Do this in a workspace:
>
> nil ifTrue: [x _ 'asdfas' asSortedCollection].
>
> The NonBoolean receiver debugger comes up, but the #asSortedCollection method is currently highlighted, when it seems that #ifTrue: should be highlighted instead.

Thanks, this is a good suggestion. I rarely have nonBoolean exceptions, so I did not try to make them look better.
Some more changes to the Parser and MessageNode should do the trick.

Cheers,
Hans-Martin