I'm New Here

Frank Lesser Frank-Lesser at Lesser-Software.com
Sat Jul 21 10:13:55 UTC 2001

Hi Randy,

to develop something equal to PARTS for Squeak it would require some
infrastructure work like the CompiledMethod subclass PARTSScript.
PARTS relies on having instance methods.

If you seek some replacement for VSE I would recommend you also to have a
look at Dolphin, which has an excellent design.
VSE's qualities were never reached in some aspects. VA has overtaken PARTS -
but because they compile every change in their Visual Designer they break
incremental development.
It looks that VSE's active development has stopped in 1995 - recent updates
were only minor.
We ourself are busy to create a real Windows-Squeak ( LSWVST )- which
required extending Squeak's VM a lot.
Also our Smalltalk target Translation ( based on Type Inference ).

We love Squeak because there is a huge activity by it's community.

So long

Frank, www.lesser-software.com