I'm New Here

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Sun Jul 22 03:30:27 UTC 2001

"Frank Lesser" <Frank-Lesser at Lesser-Software.com> is widely believed to have written:

> Hi Tim,
>
> ok - please regard it simply as my opinion -
We're all entitled to our opinions and without a variety of them life
could get really boring. Sort of like the 50's. Shudder.

> a decompiler cannot be
> removed - it may be offered by a third party as in the Java world.
I think I could come up with a number of ways to prevent that. Sadly I
didn't come up with any ways of preventing java :-) (Looks like maybe M$
have though :-) )

> But how you will answer the question if you try to convince someone to use a
> specific Smalltalk environment -
> he will ask - it is your favourite tool - but is it maintained will it exist
> in a few years, and so on.
Yup, that's a common tactic used. My most successful response is to
point to the enormous amount of porting work needed as each version of
Windows comes out. And I suppose we could point out that Smalltalk has
been around for longer than C++, java and C# put together.

> By translating Smalltalk to something - a few years back there were at least
> a demand on translating to Java -
> you can maybe convince someone to make a decision use a high productivity
> environment.
Well I suppose one could make an argument to the effect that Smalltalk
(at least VW etc) translates to machine code via a portable pseudocode
- just like most M$ applications in fact.

Strange OpCodes: WDS: Warp Drive, Scotty!