Some feedback

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at atlas.otago.ac.nz
Mon Jul 23 01:18:22 UTC 2001

Doug Way <dway at riskmetrics.com> wrote:
	There's been discussion of mapping a different character to the
	assignment operator, but an obvious alternative hasn't come up yet.
	(Besides, Smalltalk selector/variable names usually don't contain
	underscores by convention... though there may be exceptions.  ;-) )

There is an obvious character.  Some other Smalltalks have you type
^G to insert the assignment operator.  So make ^G be the assignment
operator.

Of course, if Squeak supported Unicode, there'd be some rather more
obvious candidates.

ANSI Smalltalk does allow underscores in identifiers, so we may find
the use of the baStudlyCaps style decreasing.  (On the other hand,
with the influence of Java, we may not.  Who knows?)