[MultimediaApps] Presentation system and SqueakNews

Hannes Hirzel hirzel at spw.unizh.ch
Mon Jul 23 20:37:45 UTC 2001

Hi

I'm using Squeak at the moment as a multimedia presentation system. I
did'nt yet reach the limints (memory wise).
In my working image
Project allProjects size
gives 82 and the image is 40MB. I run it on a 64MB laptop.

I would be interested to have other figures. Especially how to proceed if
the image size gets bigger than the available memory.

With the InternalThreadNavigationMorph I can really keept track of the
different projects. This is very nice.

I read the first issue of SqueakNews: It gave me ideas how to present
dynamic content. It convinces me to persue using Squeak for multimedia and
CBT applications.

Implementation characteristics of the SqueakNews July edition:

- Use Projects as slides
- Use your own navigator (well I think InternalThreadMorph would be fine
as well)
- Reduce WorldMenu entry list (class TheWorldMenu)
- Disable the halos
- Use ProjectViewMorphs for navigation (used in the table of contents)
- Use GeeMailMorph for presenting articles (Pointer to documentation to
how to's welcome)

The system is not fully closed. So to look behind the scenes how things
are done you often have the possiblity to type in a text somewhere like
Workspace open
World explore
Browser openBrowser

Hannes Hirzel