I'm New Here - Responce

Hacker mrandycs at swbell.net
Tue Jul 24 01:14:18 UTC 2001

>From Randy Manning:

Thank you all for responding to my first post. I received an error from the
server when I posted it and I thought that it was not delivered, otherwise I
would have responded sooner.

First - I turned off the HTML stuff in my e-mail program.

I'm overwhelmed by the responses I received.

Frank Lesser, I've been to your web site. I think you have the right idea
about the direction that Smalltalk developers would like to see the language
evolve. Let us (me) know when you have a commercial product.

Doug Way, about the Smalltalk to C translator. What I really would like to
have is the ability to translate a Smalltalk application into C code. But,
as you suggested, a Smalltalk VM would probably be the smarter choice. I
just worry that the VM will end up being 20Mbytes or larger. As a developer,
I would prefer a VM of one to two Mbytes for deployment. I've done the major
shrink and ended up with an image of ~ 800Kb - this may be the best place
for me to start. I'll look at the GUI-layout tools you mentioned - Thanks!

Most of the response I received concerned the issue of source code
translation. After consideration, I believe that tacking on a GUI-layout
tool to a small image is the best route to go.

Again, thank you all for taking the time to respond to my issues with
Smalltalk.

Randy Manning  mrandycs at swbell.net