Smalltalk deployment

Jim Beyer kb9ngi at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 23 13:19:43 UTC 2001

I have been waiting for someone to ask this -- wondering if
it was just me.  :--)

The perceived need for a decompiler adverse system is not
real clear to me.  In fact, there are thousands of
commercial products out there which could be decompiled if
someone wanted to do it.  And that only counts the VB apps
for Windows!

There are probably cases where an idea is so orrigianl or
the expression of it is so unique that the program should
as a matter of prudence be released only in a form that
makes reverse engineering impossible.  I simply cannot
think of the last time I saw such a product.

Maybe it is my limited horizon but frankly I could not care
less about the ease with which someone can decompile my
code.  We call it code not because other humans cannot read
it but because computers can......

FWIW
jimB