[ANN] GemSqueak - Squeak client for GemStone/S

Stephen Pair spair at advantive.com
Tue Jul 24 14:17:29 UTC 2001

Ross,

>I also found the link to dowload did not work.

Were you able to download it by going to the "uploads" page.  Something
is not formed correctly in the download link, but I was able to download
it just fine from the uploads page.

>I notice you say it's been tested on Windows and Linux.  Is there a
version
>of Gemstone/S that runs on Windows?  At least for the free downloads,
it
>seems to be only Linux.

Yes, the NC version of GemStone is only available on Linux.  It's too
bad that they don't make the NC version available on all platforms (or
at least Windows)...it seems that it wouldn't be a big deal
(politically) since they limit you to just one connection in the NC
version (which I would think would rule out most commercial uses).

But hey!  Isn't it nice change of pace to have an application available
first on Linux (not on Windows).  Better start considering Linux if you
want broad support for applications!

- Stephen