MathPack - Best way to Package & Document?

David Chase chase at world.std.com
Wed Jul 25 02:22:52 UTC 2001

At 08:13 AM 7/24/2001 -0400, Kevin Fisher wrote:
>Might I also humbly suggest LaTeX as a good documentation format?

Two more plusses for latex:

- remarkably stable over time.

- nice integration with PDF writing (at least in MikTeX).

So, for example, I was able to take a dissertation written
about fifteen years ago in LaTeX and process it directly in
"compatibility mode" (which worked perfectly).  Then, I
converted it to the current version of LaTeX (by changing two
lines in the header) and automatic support for PDF thumbnails
and cross-references.

See http://world.std.com/~chase/chapter2.pdf for the results
(not the dissertation, just an over-long chapter on GC
that got cut, but I didn't want to discard it).

There is also supposed to be decent support for conversion
to HTML, but I have not had such good luck with it on a Windows
box.  I can imagine a better converter that might target XML
instead, but I lack the time to write it (it could include
support for the picture-drawing with SVG, etc, etc).

David Chase