I'm New Here - Responce

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at atlas.otago.ac.nz
Wed Jul 25 02:39:20 UTC 2001

Hacker <mrandycs at swbell.net> wrote:
	Doug Way, about the Smalltalk to C translator. What I really would like to
	have is the ability to translate a Smalltalk application into C code. But,
	as you suggested, a Smalltalk VM would probably be the smarter choice. I
	just worry that the VM will end up being 20Mbytes or larger. As a developer,
	I would prefer a VM of one to two Mbytes for deployment. I've done the major
	shrink and ended up with an image of ~ 800Kb - this may be the best place
	for me to start. I'll look at the GUI-layout tools you mentioned - Thanks!

But the VM *is* small.  According to MacOS, the Squeak 3.0Alpha8MT VM is
a "1,012 K application".  And the 2.8 VM was "1,004 K", so the rate of
growth doesn't seem to be all that high.