I'm New Here - Responce

John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Wed Jul 25 03:26:57 UTC 2001

"Richard A. O'Keefe" wrote:

> Hacker <mrandycs at swbell.net> wrote:
>         Doug Way, about the Smalltalk to C translator. What I really would like to
>         have is the ability to translate a Smalltalk application into C code. But,
>         as you suggested, a Smalltalk VM would probably be the smarter choice. I
>         just worry that the VM will end up being 20Mbytes or larger. As a developer,
>         I would prefer a VM of one to two Mbytes for deployment. I've done the major
>         shrink and ended up with an image of ~ 800Kb - this may be the best place
>         for me to start. I'll look at the GUI-layout tools you mentioned - Thanks!
>
> But the VM *is* small.  According to MacOS, the Squeak 3.0Alpha8MT VM is
> a "1,012 K application".  And the 2.8 VM was "1,004 K", so the rate of
> growth doesn't seem to be all that high.

Just for completeness, on Linux my Squeak VM is 1544044, which is a
touch bigger than the bare Python 1.5 executable. By contrast, Bluefish,
a pretty small application, is about a third of the size, while Gimp is
a little more than 3 times as big and, amazingly, Adobe's Acrobat Reader
is twice the size.

Cheers

John