Microsoft removes Netscape support from IE; plug-in needs re- writing.

Jarvis, Robert P. (Contingent) Jarvisb at timken.com
Wed Jul 25 18:26:59 UTC 2001

So now it's "either you develop with Microsoft tools and deploy on a
Microsoft platform or your web pages won't work with 90% of the browsers out
there"?  Wow.  Do the folks in Redmond take chutzpah pills every morning, or
what?  And let me guess - .NET will *only* work with IE, right?  So is it
going to be "use IE for 1/2 the Web, and use Netscape for the other half"???
Y'know, if I was the paranoid/conspiracy-theory type I'd think this was a
ploy by Microsoft to destroy the use of the Web, and confine people to their
desktops where MS wants 'em to be!  But no, I'm positive that can't be so...

I also noted that Microsoft has filed a request to have the appeals court
review a portion of the decision that sent the original antitrust suit back
to the lower court.  Microsoft is apparently trying to tie the case up in
knots long enough to get XP out without government involvement.  I'd like to
see the prosecution file a motion to restrain Microsoft from releasing any
new products or upgrades/new versions of existing products until the case is
settled.  THAT would certainly get MS's boxers in a bunch!

Bob Jarvis
Compuware @ Timken