CS Methods, Constructs, Tricks, etc.

Edwin Pilobello edwinp13 at home.com
Wed Jul 25 20:55:13 UTC 2001

THANK YOU, Andrew!  I never thought of that approach.

I'll work it up as the CommandButton(Index).Tag property and present the
concept to class tonight.  I'm sure the paradigm would be a great "AHA!"
experience for these kids.  And that is the point of the entire exercise ...
finding elegant solutions, focusing on the algorithm.  After each kid
finished their draft, then we'll go into coding schemes.  Some will probably
use arrays, lists, etc.

:-)  edwin

P.S. - Just in case you're wondering, I use a "learner led" pedagogy, part
instructionist mostly constructivist approach. Call it "hacking" if you
wish.  I call it "building your own knowledge".  It takes some effort to
convince the kids what I mean when I say "It's O.K. to make mistakes, just
learn from them and keep going."
  After they figure out the methodology, they accelerate!  Then they start
knocking off AP classes or petitioning to skip grade levels.  Unfortunately,
some have come back "brow-beaten" to submission by the school system.  I
appreciate seeing them come back and feel free in my other classes, but my
heart really breaks for those in such misfortune.