[OT] RE: Microsoft removes Netscape support from IE; plug-in needsre-writing.

Stephen Pair spair at advantive.com
Thu Jul 26 18:55:39 UTC 2001

Hmmm...I guess I just don't have that much respect for Microsoft...all
the evidence I've seen points to bloat.  ;)

It see it playing out this way:

- very few people jump on C# because of its platform dependence, and
immaturity...but they also decide to begin hedging their bets on Java
lest they become a casualty of the MS vs. Sun war.
- the cost of ownership of Windows and Office continues its steady climb
in lock step with the increasing complexity and cost associated with its
development
- consumers (mainly businesses at first) begin to look for cheaper
alternatives, a market developes
- recognizing this market, developers begin to position themselves to
deliver on both Windows and Linux/Unix (if they haven't already)
- Developers revert to development using C/C++ (some are smart and
choose Squeak) and seek cross platform solutions
- More and more of the GNU tools get ported over to Windows, making
Windows more like GNU/Windows.
- GUI applications start to be developed that (for portability) target X
Windows, as free X Windows servers become readily available for Windows
- Microsoft decides its time to buy the alternative operating system,
but can't answer one simple question, "who owns it?"  It is difficult
for them to comprehend that, in a sense, everyone owns it, and they
don't even come close to having enough cash for that buyout.
- Microsoft becomes successful at marketing and selling services over
the internet to software developers (travel booking, universal passport,
etc) and successfully reduces its dependence on the OS revenue

RIP Windows

- Stephen