Developing RPG

Frantisek Fuka fuxoft at terminal.cz
Mon Jul 30 09:13:48 UTC 2001

Just for the clarity: Today, "RPG" usually means something different
than "interactive fiction" (IF). While IF is usually text-based and
allows you to "give axe to goblin" or "carefully examine the mushroom,
then eat it". On the other hand, "RPG" usually doesn't have extensive
vocabulary (or no vocabulary at all) and is centered around numeric
"stats" (strength, wisdom, dexterity etc...) of player and enemies. The
RPG style I'm specifically interested in porting to Squeak, is graphical
tile RPG like Angband (have a look at
http://thangorodrim.angband.org/angband.html), although there are
several dozens of these for different platform. The interesting factor
of these games is that they are different each time you play so there's
a reason to come back once you finish it (IF you finish it). The
graphics/sound part of these games is usually very simple but OO
programming could be used to program interesting AI stuff very easily, I
think...

--
                                          Frantisek Fuka
(yes, that IS my real name)