struggling with Celeste

John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Mon Jul 30 18:27:55 UTC 2001

Steve Elkins wrote:

> John Hinsley <jhinsley at telinco.co.uk> wrote:
>
> [about problems using Celeste]
>
> > Do I need to do anything to the PopSocket?
>
> I've never had to.
>
> > When Celeste requests my password, is it looking for a higher level
> > authentification than my (ISP style) username?
>
> Just making sure, should the last word of your question be "password"
> instead of "username"?  I supply the same username and password
> (and they are not the same strings) to Celeste that I supply to Netscape.
> All goes well.
>
> But I'm only guessing at what your problem might be.

Well, I'm only guessing too!

I should point out that this in on Linux, so there might just be other
issues floating about (usually are!).

AFAIK. I've never entered anything in the Netscape dialogue strings
apart from the name of my pop3 server, the dotted quad of my SMTP
server, my email address and my user name. So, when using fetch mail in
Celeste opens up a "fill in the gaps" asking for my pop 3 password, I
was entering my username.

*I've just tried it using my ISP password (the one which wvdial uses)
and it works!*

This strikes me as

a.	Wildly counter intuitive (in effect I'm sending the same password
twice to the same agent).

b.	Terminologically dubious (is my ISP password a Pop 3 password?).

But there may be design decisions here which I'm completely unaware of.
(After all, Windows and maybe Mac sort of bundle the whole connection
routine into one whole.)

But thanks for the guess Steve, it set me off in the "right" direction!

Cheers

John