Squeak instead of Servlets

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Mon Jul 30 21:24:24 UTC 2001

Gary McGovern <garywork at lineone.net> said:
>I'm enquiring as to whether anyone has done any work running Squeak =
>rather than a servlet (or even JSPs) on a servlet engine with Apache and =
>DB or if not, can anyone give me some relevant info such as different =
>methods to achieve the same end.

It's still not completely complete, but you can find a lot of stuff to help
Squeak on the Net in Comanche. Servlets are the basic and standard way any
object system will want to publish to the net, so even if Comanche doesn't
follow any standards, it's quite accessible. The equivalent of JSP is SSP,
implemented by Stephen Pair for Squeak - it should be part of Comanche by now
or at the very least quickly become part of it (there were some
interoperability problems).

The biggest thing missing is the possibility to put Squeak behind
a Webserver via a custom CGI script or - better - something like
FCGI. VisualWorks has this in the upcoming release, and especially FCGI
with 'auto-start' (I think that's part of the FCGI spec - what I mean
is that on the first FCGI request, the CGI script starts the server if
it's not already running) would be a nice way to deploy Smalltalk with
any Apache hoster.

Squeak has drivers for PostgreSQL and mySQL, and possibly some more.
--
Cees de Groot               http://www.cdegroot.com     <cg at cdegroot.com>
Building software is like quantum mechanics: you can predict what it