Squeak instead of Servlets

Gary McGovern garywork at lineone.net
Tue Jul 31 03:20:02 UTC 2001

 "Cees de Groot" wrote:

> It's still not completely complete, but you can find a lot of stuff to
help
> Squeak on the Net in Comanche. Servlets are the basic and standard way any
> object system will want to publish to the net, so even if Comanche doesn't
> follow any standards, it's quite accessible. The equivalent of JSP is SSP,
> implemented by Stephen Pair for Squeak - it should be part of Comanche by
now
> or at the very least quickly become part of it (there were some
> interoperability problems).

That's interesting. Would I be right in thinking there are two separate and
distinct comanchies ? I just installed comanche today with apache but it
didn't seem to have any relevance to Squeak. But it was a version over a
year old.

> The biggest thing missing is the possibility to put Squeak behind
> a Webserver via a custom CGI script or - better - something like
> FCGI. VisualWorks has this in the upcoming release, and especially FCGI
> with 'auto-start' (I think that's part of the FCGI spec - what I mean
> is that on the first FCGI request, the CGI script starts the server if
> it's not already running) would be a nice way to deploy Smalltalk with
> any Apache hoster.

Do you know of any work being done on this ? I like to think of Squeak as an
environment of plasticity (ie to shape to any task), do you think that goes
against the grain of most work being done?

> Squeak has drivers for PostgreSQL and mySQL, and possibly some more.

I was aware of that. Thanks!

>Aaron wrote:
>The code for doing servlets in VisualWorks Smalltalk is >already out there.
>Have a look at WhiteCap >>>(http://www.jdmsoft.com/WhiteCap.html), which
>implements the Java Servlet Specification version 2.2. >This is for VW, not
>Squeak, but I'm sure it could be ported.

Thanks for this. I'm not so sure that 'ported' would be the correct term for
this.:-) But I'm sure some things may filter through, though I wouldn't want
to do that. I never realised that VW had already done it, I thought it was
coming soon.

>Delbert Murphy wrote:
>You can write a Module for Comanche or add to Swiki >+ Comanche.

>I believe that this is a good place to start:
>http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/swiki

Thanks for the pointers.

Regards,
Gary