3.0 and 3.1 VMs for Unix

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Jul 31 04:26:57 UTC 2001

> > > 	Could someone explain to me what the differences between the 3.0 & 3.1pre mean to a linux user?  Also, do I uase a 3.0 image with the 3.1pre?
> > >

> > That's "3.0pre2", not "3.1pre" -- "pre" meaning "prerelease".  You
> > should probably grab the 3.0.
> >
> > It's not a big difference, I don't think.  It has a couple of bugfixes,
> > and it has a newer platform-independent code (intepr.c, BltBitPlugin.c,
> > ...), whatever that matters.
> >

> 	No, actually, it is 3.1pre.  As in Squeak-3.1a-4164.

Ah, sure enough.  On Ian's page you can choose between 3.0 and
3.1a-4164pre1.  If you don't mind compiling things yourself, you may as
well go with the 3.1a.  The only difference is, AFAIU, the version of
interp.c and other generated files.  Newer is almost certainly better.

I thought OP was asking about the difference in 3.0pre2 and 3.0, and
wondering wether to upgrade.

-Lex