Developing RPG (Tile-based graphics with transparency)

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Jul 31 03:45:31 UTC 2001

> Because is has this same platform-independancy of a virtual machine I also
> like in Smalltalk & Squeak:
>
> "....The Z-machine is an imaginary computer, created in 1979, which has
> never existed as circuitry. Instead, almost every real computer built in the
> 1980s and 1990s has been taught to pretend to be a Z-machine. The usefulness
> of this is that Inform's story files (the actual games which players play)
> run on the Z-machine, so it follows that a Z-machine interpreter is just
> what you need to play Inform games. The Z-machine was invented by Joel
> Berez, Marc Blank and others working at the Infocom corporation, so it also
> runs Infocom's justly famous works of interactive fiction...."
>
> There are also trials of combining the language parser with sound & graphic
> scenes....
>
> Wouldn't it be nice to combine the power of Squeak with this virtual
> Z-machine?

Oh yes.  Words fail -- I spent a LOT of time playing these games.  (And
losing them.  "Hey, I both have tea and don't have tea.  But, I see you
have tea....".  Adams had a delightful evil streak sometimes!)  A
Z-machine in Squeak would be really fun!  Here are some specs for it:

	http://www.ifarchive.org/indexes/if-archiveXinfocomXinterpretersXspecif
ication.html

By the way, Squeak ought to make an excellent system for adventure
games, too....

Lex Spoon