Experiences and questions with the Morph Tutorial in Morphic

Ross Boylan RossBoylan at stanfordalumni.org
Wed Jun 27 05:20:22 UTC 2001

I've gone a little bit through it, and ran into several problems.  Some
have little to do with the tutorial.  I'm running a 3.1a image with the
latest fileins, currently on W2K.

1.  On the superswiki I wanted to find out a little more about some of the
projects, and tried selecting a project and hitting browser changes.  It
didn't work.  Should it?  Is there another way to get some info without
haven't been able to reproduce it).

2. When I override drawOn: around p. 3 I get errors and then a red box with
yellow cross lines.  After that, I can't seem to get the drawOn: code to be
called again (I put in a self halt, and it wasn't hit.  I think eventually
I did something that hit it, the I had to kill the image, presumably b/c it
got caught in a loop).  I see the morph gets an extension attribute that
it's in error, and if I delete that attribute I can redisplay.  This seems
pretty awkward (though I know that getting in a loop when you can't display
is awkward too).

3. The first time through I started trying to resize things so I could see
more of the workspace with the text.  Somehow (probably when I clicked on
the pick up handle) things get pulled out of their proper embedding, and I
never could get them back.  The only way I've found to restore the project
was to pull it in again.  I know the tutorial didn't call for such messing
around, but I thought I'd pass it on, since others might be similarly tempted.

If there are better ways to handle these problems, I'd love to
know.  Thanks for your work on the tutorial.