TexFileOut problems

John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Fri Jun 8 15:34:43 UTC 2001

Andres Valloud wrote:

> Hello.
>
> > Since then Thomas Kuehne and Andres Valloud himself have put me on the
> > right track. It really is a fine little tool, and getting it to produce
> > TeX which resolves into a printeable and beautifully formatted dvi file
> > requires very little. But, if it could be made to produce LaTeX output
> > which was "well behaved" enough for reLyX to accept, (or even to produce
> > LyXable output) we'd have a fully functioning documentation system which
> > would -- I think -- be unbeatable.
>
> I have never used LaTeX. You may want to take a look at the macros used
> in the class TeXFileOut. You definitely know more LaTeX than I do. Try
> subclassing TeXFileOut into say LaTeXFileOut. Then, you could take a
> look at the methods that define the macros used, like vboxes, hboxes,
> fonts and the like. By reimplementing them I think it should be pretty
> straightforward to get a well behaved LaTeX file out. It should be
> pretty easy, I wrote TeX macros once and only once in their own
> messages.
>
> Let me know if I can be of any help.

And

> I responded to this in the Squeak mailing list... but I wanted to
> mention a hidden feature. If you want it to stop splitting methods
> across pages, turn on the useVBoxes preference by sending a message to
> the TeXFileOut class.

Thanks Andres

I'll take a look: but it'll have to wait 3 or 4 months. So if anyone
wants to make a start on this right away (Thomas?) please feel free. ;-)

For those who are following this but are struggling to work out what the
fuss is all about, TeX and LaTeX are typesetting tools developed by
Knuth. reLyX is a command line tool which converts "well behaved" LaTeX
to a format which LyX will accept -- it's *very* fussy. LyX is a super
Open Source WYSIWYM document processor which can produce final output as
postscript and will accept postscript "images" (which Gimp or Photoshop,
for example, will produce from gifs and other formats -- made with
Squeak's Image Capture facility, perhaps).

Put all these together and you'd have an easy way of further documenting
the beautifully formatted output which TexFileOut produces (which could
be re-edited without delving into the complexities of TeX/LaTeX) and
illustrating what code snippets produce -- nicer to show the output of
(say) <PopUpMenu confirm: 'Reboot the universe' orCancel:
[^'Nevermind']> as an image as well as code, methinks. Final output as
postscript which common Open Source tools can convert to pdf for
distribution to the masses.

Cheers

John

Marx: "Why do Anarchists only drink herbal tea?"
Proudhon: "Because all proper tea is theft."