MPEG on Windows NT?

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Jun 20 02:48:15 UTC 2001

Has anyone had luck with MPEG on Windows NT?  A couple of us have been
testing with an MPEG file called "AlienSong", and we're suddenly getting
protection faults at a very predictable position in the replay.  I know
I've seen this exact MPEG work on NT before, and it works fine under
Linux, but now it crashes Squeak on NT.  We've tried:

	- 16-bit and 32-bit depths for the screen (choosing little-endian when
given the choice)

	- 2.8, 3.0, and 3.1-somethinglarge images

	- the newest Squeak/Win VM, and the fixed one STP (I think it was)
posted last time I asked about MPEG troubles

It might well be something that has changed in our NT setup...  But I
don't even know where to look.  Squeak's crash.dmp is appended (thanks
Andreas!), which shows the system to be crashing inside of the primitive
that decodes a video frame.  The MPEG is at:

	http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu:8888/cs2340/uploads/AlienSong.mpg

Any ideas?  Has anyone else been trying MPEG on Windows NT?  If you get
it to work, can you recommend a VM plus DLL to use?

-Lex