TexFileOut problems

John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Fri Jun 8 03:34:19 UTC 2001

"Richard A. O'Keefe" wrote:

> John Hinsley <jhinsley at telinco.co.uk> wrote:
>         This results in a file "Symbol class.tex" in my home directory. Of
>         course, "Symbol class.tex" is an illegal file name under any *nix. So I
>         change it to "Symbol_class.tex" (legal under any OS) in Kde.
>
> No, "Symbol class.tex" is a perfectly legal file name under any *nix and has
> been at least since the days of Version 6 back in the late 70s.  If you try
> to mention it in a shell, you'll have to quote it
>         'Symbol class.tex'
>         "Symbol class.tex"
>         Symbol\ class.tex
> but that's all.  Whether TeX (not originally a UNIX program) likes it is
> of course another matter.

Well, we could argue about whether being able to use it in a shell or
not (sans escapes, sans quotes) defines its legality. But that gets us
nowhere.

//snip//

> The result is not meant to be a stand-alone document, but to be embedded
> in a document which already has the right class and pulls in the right
> macro definitions.

Since then Thomas Kuehne and Andres Valloud himself have put me on the
right track. It really is a fine little tool, and getting it to produce
TeX which resolves into a printeable and beautifully formatted dvi file
requires very little. But, if it could be made to produce LaTeX output
which was "well behaved" enough for reLyX to accept, (or even to produce
LyXable output) we'd have a fully functioning documentation system which
would -- I think -- be unbeatable.

Cheers

John
Marx: "Why do Anarchists only drink herbal tea?"
Proudhon: "Because all proper tea is theft."