BankAccount Tutorial

doug way dway at riskmetrics.com
Sat Jun 30 15:25:30 UTC 2001

On Saturday, June 30, 2001, at 10:11 AM, John Hinsley wrote:

> Also, now that Mark's book has finally made it to these far off shores
> (on order for nearly 3 months!) how much of it is 2.8 specific? [Brow
> furrows while trying to work out how to have two different versions of
> Squeak living in happy harmony on the same system. Decides to go back to
> bed instead.]

Actually, it's very easy to have more than one version of Squeak living
in harmony on your system.  Heck, I probably have about 50 versions of
Squeak sitting on my hard drive, ranging from Squeak 2.2 to 3.1alpha.
(I guess that would be 50 .image/.changes combos, but probably only 7 or
8 VM's.)

A nice thing about Squeak is that each .image/.changes pair is a
standalone environment which doesn't interfere with other images.  You
can even run more than one version of Squeak at the same time... I need
to do this on occasion.  (Contrast this with, say, VisualAge/Java, with
which it isn't possible to run more than one version at a time.)

Anyway, you can always keep your 2.8 and 3.0 versions of Squeak in
separate directories, so that you don't intermingle changesets that
belong to one or the other.

- Doug Way
   dway at riskmetrics.com