Squeak Plugin install problems

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Sat Jun 16 18:52:56 UTC 2001

>Rosemary Michelle Simpson wrote:
>>
>  > When I do a find on all my disks the only NPSqueak is that alias.
>
>This is a known bug. You have to select custom install instead of easy
>install.
>
>Karl

This problem has been fixed, and a new installer and a new plugin
that support hardware acceleration is pending in the distribution
pipe. However before that occurs I believe the custom install should
work.

For the curious the problem is that if you  install then delete say
netscape on your macintosh hard disk, then the method I originally
coded to find the browsers says, yes netscape exists, but then the
installer gets confused because it can't find the browser, and
attempts to cancel the install which doesn't work  quite right and
you end up with that alias in the Squeak internet system perference
folder.

The fix is to use the volume catalog on each local volume and hunt
for the browsers. This is more time consuming, but also deals with
the problem of having multiple browsers and multiple volumes. I have
found many users are surprised to find they have multiple browsers on
their hard disks because Apple installs both IE and netscape and over
the years Apple and Netscape have made numerious changes to the
folder layouts and locations so sometimes someone might have 6
browsers on their hard disk.

Note This installer does NOT work with the carbon version of
Netscape. A carbonized IE squeak plugin does exist, I'll look at
getting instructions up somewhere on how to deal with that issue.