New VM for Linux?

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Fri Jun 29 12:14:13 UTC 2001

On Fri, 29 Jun 2001, Christopher Sawtell wrote:

> I collected your VM off your ftp archive a couple of days ago. The
> binary did not work because we are on Linux-Mandrake 7.1 which is a
> glibc-2.1, so I compiled the sources and installed by hand. It all
> goes well as a plugin.

That VM is more recent than Ian's 3.0pre2, but does not yet
have the latest additions.

> I expect that I will have to set up a local mirror of Squeakland.org.
>
> Could we do that please? Are there any special modules for the server or
> is a "standard" Apache all right?

It's standard Apache plus one tiny CGI script (actually this is a JSP but
a *very* tiny Perl script could do the same).

> A couple of tiny bugs in the Squeak plugin are that the area of the
> plugin does not quite fill the netscape browser window - tehre is about
> 2 cms of black around the right-hand and bottom edges,

Yes, happens here, too ... hadn't had time to look at it, yet.

> and when I go to full screen i.e. "escape the browser" and then try to
> browser stays a very light grey.

You need to resize the browser-window a little bit, then the plugin jumps
back into the page - I'm not yet sure, why.

> Today I fetched the B3DAcceleratorPlugin stuff from the ftp archive so
> that - hopefully - all the Alice stuff will work, but cannot work out
> where the B3DAcceleratorPlugin sources are supposed to be put in the
> source tree.

It's easiest to make a subdirectory src/unix/B3DAcceleratorPlugin and put
the necessary files there (B3DAcceleratorPlugin.c B3DAcceleratorPlugin.h
sqOpenGLRenderer.c sqOpenGLRenderer.h sqUnixOpenGL.c sqUnixOpenGL.h). And
you need to build a new VM from the image.

-- Bert