historical note (was: New Block Closures)

Michael Rueger m.rueger at acm.org
Fri Jun 22 15:02:44 UTC 2001

"Jarvis, Robert P. (Contingent)" wrote:
>         Can we do similar things to improve software?

Well, while doing disgusting things in terms of wasting cycles and
bytes, there also has been some remarkable progress for algorithmic
problems, a good example are compression techniques and 3D graphics.
Which are all problems, well, sort of close to hardware.

We seem to have become worse at solving soft problems (like morphic),
maybe because we are not really solving them, just adding more and mre
patches to our incomplete understanding of how things should work.

Michael

--
 "To improve is to change, to be perfect is to change often."
                                            Winston Churchill