CAS and Squeak (evolved from: Squeakland Evolution project thingy ;-))

Sam Adams ssadams at us.ibm.com
Fri Jun 1 02:56:12 UTC 2001

Rob,
Ahh, now you're talking.  I too have been long fascinated by the dynamics
of complex systems, especially emergent behavior.  Hollands "Hidden Order"
is a great source of ideas and approaches for complex software systems.
Anyone up for implementing ECHO in Squeak?  Also, Kauffman's previous work
"At Home in the Universe" contains an excellent but simple experiment to
describe his NK models (the buttons and string example) that would make a
great interactive essay.  Almost 5 years ago, Steve Burbeck and I
implemented something akin to his random boolean networks in Squeak as part
of our research into Self Configuring Systems at IBM.  It's truly amazing
how quickly such system's lock into the "frozen" or "highly ordered"
regime, even starting from a completely (pseudo)random network of
interacting nodes with random goals.  Very counterintuitive.  This research
has led us to develop techniques for harnessing and steering emergent
behavior in the service of some very ambitious research goals, namely
human-like cognition in machines.  Yes, in Squeak.  Most of the details are
all under wraps of course and we expect a number of years of work ahead to
achieve the goal, but some of the progress we are making is very promising.
Think feedback loops, lots of them, intersecting each other, then go and
contemplate a whirlpool vortex in your local creek or bathtub for awhile.
Sorry, flush toilets won't do, on either side of the equator. ;-)

While I'm on the subject of complex adaptive systems (CAS) and Squeak, has
anyone spent any cycles considering the irreversibility of a Squeak image?
Ilya Prigogine, Nobel laureate in chemistry, wrote an excellent if
difficult book on complexity and irreversibility called "Order out of
Chaos", back in 1989, but it seems to be out of print.  I haven't read his
latest work, "The End of Certainty : Time, Chaos, and the New Laws of
Nature" by Isabelle Stengers and Ilya Prigogine, but it seems to be on the
same track.  His preoccupation with the so called "Arrow of Time" could be
very enlightening if applied to software development, especially in the
dynamical social context of the Squeak community.

FYI, I recently found an excellent online introduction to Chaos and
Complexity in a rather unorthodox place, http://www.cna.org/isaac/lw1.pdf.
Warning, its a bit of a fat download for the narrowbanded.

Regards,
Sam

Sam S. Adams, IBM Distinguished Engineer, IBM Research
tie line 444-0736, outside 919-254-0736, email: ssadams at us.ibm.com
<<Hebrews 11:6, Proverbs 3:5-6, Romans 1:16-17, I Corinthians 1:10>>

                    "Withers,
                    Robert"              To:     "'squeak at cs.uiuc.edu'" <squeak at cs.uiuc.edu>
                    <rwithers at qual       cc:
                    laby.com>            Subject:     RE: Squeakland Evolution project thingy

                    05/31/2001
                    11:46 AM
                    Please respond
                    to squeak

Sam, Sorry about that.  You're absolutely right; we shouldn't go into the
faith issues.

I meant to question technical merits of evolution, as opposed to other
mechanisms describing organic system formation, with the goal of doing
simulations in Squeak.  I am intrigued by a system capable of negotiating
distributed meta-services with feedback mechanisms to drive configuration
and activity.  John Holland developed the original "Selectrons" system that
used a blackboard and a bucket brigade feedback mechanism.  He was
simulating thought processes.

Rob

PS.  is there an essay on comparative religion from an Islamic perspective
about?  That would be interesting!