StrongARM JIT?

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Fri Jun 22 00:50:49 UTC 2001

"Noel J. Bergman" <noel at devtech.com> is widely believed to have written:

> >> Anyone care to do a StrongARM JIT?
> >Yes indeed - just as soon as the license is less offensive.
>
> License?  To author a JIT?  What kind of license?  Please explain.  :-)
See the file 'COPYING' in the distribution of the jitter source code. It
expressly forbids me from making my usual living if I look at the code:-
>    1. The software may not be used for commercial advantage.  Neither you nor
>    your employer nor any other organisation with which you are associated
>    are permitted to charge for the software or for other programs that might
>    be developed based on any part of the software itself or knowledge of the
>    algorithms contained therein.  Do not even look at the software if this
>    restriction might conflict with your professional activities or those of
>    your employer.
I rather think that that would be unlawful and surely not in the normal
vein of open source licenses, and almost certainly not concomitant with
the squeak license.

tim

"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by." Douglas Adams, R.I.P.