[BUG][FIX]Unstable Squeak Won't Load Modules on Macintosh

Andrew C. Greenberg werdna at mucow.com
Sun Jun 3 12:48:48 UTC 2001

On Sunday, June 3, 2001, at 05:54 AM, Joseph Pelrine wrote:

> Lots of complaints here. People want a preview of a work-in-progess,
> and then complain that not everything works. I think that John did a
> damn good job of just getting this stuff bundled up and distributed. It
> IS release 0.1, anyway.

The author misunderstands both my intentions and, apparently, the
substance of what I had posted.  If not, there is a far greater
impedance mismatch here than I had thought at first.

A bug post and fix to make software work are generally not considered
"lots of complaints" in an open-source community.   I was under the
impression that our advices, thoughts and contributions were
affirmatively solicited.

A bug post and fix to make software work are, in fact, mother's milk and
the most fundamental virtue of open source development.

A bug post and fix to make software work are the reason why for-profit
entities such as Apple and Netscape give away some software for free.

A bug post and fix to make software work are considered, in most open
source communities, to be a very good thing.

Such reports don't come easily.  In this case, it took me about 4 hours
to figure out that and why "not everything works" (indeed, nothing AT
ALL worked).

Ordinarily, people on the Squeak list perceive such efforts, not as
snide, but rather as a measure of enthusiasm and support.