BankAccount Tutorial

John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Sat Jun 30 17:10:46 UTC 2001

Rosemary Michelle Simpson wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Jun 2001, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 30 Jun 2001, John Hinsley wrote:
> >
> > > This seems a good compromise, but I wonder if people go to Mark's book
> > > because of Squeak or to Squeak because of Mark's book?
> >
> > I bought Mark's book because of squeak.  However, friends who don't squeak
> > have shown interest in buying/borrowing the book, so their introduction
> > would be through Mark.  However, we are discussing a tutorial seperate
> > from that book, so if people can get to the tutorial, then they should be
> > able to also upgrade their squeak.
>
> However, it makes sense to stay with the Squeak 2.8 that is on the CD
> while you are working with the book and its exercises/example code.  When
> learning a new language, especially one as different from most as is
> Squeak, it seems wise to not change the language version in mid-stream.
> Having said that I must confess that I jumped all the way to the 3.1 alpha
> because I wanted the "class comments with it" facility.  Still, I kept the
> 2.8 image and use it in conjunction with the book.

Again, that seems a good compromise: if I was sensible I might go that
way. Not being a compromising kinda person I think I'll try the code
with 3.1! I may well fall flat on my face (not unusual!) but I can
always chicken out/ask for help.

In some ways, as soon as we start to use something with a lead time as
long as a book, or a course,  we're stuck in this kind of bind. If I try
and do it my awkward way it's because I'm awkward and have really bad
memories of doing Java with the old AWT (which, I later discovered,
no-one "really" uses -- and no wonder!) and learning C on DOS and
discovering that none of that non-ANSI compliant code they taught you,
none of those  calls to DOS kludge libraries, could be made to work with
any degree of ease on any operating system where C still held any degree
of sway. Ouch! It still hurts.

Cheers

John

Marx: "Why do Anarchists only drink herbal tea?"
Proudhon: "Because all proper tea is theft."