historical note

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Sat Jun 23 17:52:22 UTC 2001

Jecel Assumpcao Jr <jecel at merlintec.com> wrote:>
> One reason is that we have been sidetracked into a dead end path:
>
>    http://www.dreamsongs.com/WorseIsBetter.html

You're citing an article where the guy says he can't make up his
mind....  Which track do you consider the dead end?  :)

IMHO, the original Worse is Better presents a false dichotomy.  There is
never a 100% solution to a problem, and instead you can spend more or
less time designing before you start building.  No matter how much time
you spend designing, you are doomed to eventually have a design
assumption broken.

This is not doom and gloom!  Software in many environments is flexible,
so the problems can usually be fixed.  What I'm really arguing is:
Software should stay alive, and should never be completely frozen.

Ah well.  I'm not sure what impact these sweeping discussions have on
anything, but it's fun to muse about.

-Lex