documentation requests? (future possibility)

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Jun 22 04:34:59 UTC 2001

Rosemary Michelle Simpson <rms at cs.brown.edu> wrote:
> One final idea, Lex, that is almost certainly not doable in your
> current time frame but could be interesting for future classes -
> active essays whose domain is Squeak documentation,
> documentation that provides a hypertext-structured documentation
> set including Squeaklets that illustrate what is being documented.
>
> Bright and motivated undergraduates take to this sort of
> assignment, especially the creation of, in our case, applets.

I agree.  Actually, if they get into it and do an active essay on just
about anything, I'd give them credit.  I just haven't had any bites in
that direction yet.

> We have six undergraduates working with us this summer on
> documenting difficult concepts in the CS123 computer graphics
> course by writing applets, related documentation, and creating
> hypertext structures to interlink the documentation with other
> related materials.  They learn about pedagogical techniques, user
> interface issues, and, of course, the concepts themselves in much
> greater depth.

That's wonderful!

> I'd love to see a Squeakland section devoted to self-referential
> material of this sort.

Yes.  I've taken an occasional stab at this, myself, and it's fun!  It's
much more work than a traditional essay, but the result seems more
useful.

-Lex