Supporting newish input devices

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Sat Jun 30 16:01:55 UTC 2001

On Saturday 30 June 2001 08:27, John Kozak wrote:
> I've got some (PC) peripherals it would be nice to have more support
> for, and I've started to dig around looking at adding some.  I'd
> appreciate any comments on the feasibility or folly of these:
>
>  wacom tablet.  By default, this acts as another way to move the
>   mouse cursor, but can be used as a another, independent, pointing
>   device.  I'd like to have two separate Hands, the pen one having
>   genie on and the mouse one not.

There is already (IIRC) tablet support in Squeak. Look at
JoystickTabletPlugin. I don't know what it's good for, though. (I'm getting a
tablet soon, so I'm interested).

>  MS Intellimouse.  It's got five buttons; it'd be nice to use them all...
>
>  windows keyboard.  I'd like to be able to use the windows and menu
>   keys - could someone point be at where global key bindings live?  Is
>   there a utility that dumps out the keyboard stream (or something like
>   emacs' view-lossage)?

There are key bindings all over the place. Most are set in the class side of
ParagraphEditor, though.

Look at EventSensor for the definition of the input events. It looks like you
have extra mouse button bits, and/or can add new keystroke modifiers for
special keys. You'll have to modify the platform-specific bits of your VM to
pass the additional mouse buttons and keystrokes through, first.

--
Ned Konz
currently: Stanwood, WA
email:     ned at bike-nomad.com